Monday, March 18, 2013

Design Wall Monday

I have gotten seriously hooked on string quilts lately. The current string quilt I am working on is from MaryQuilts.com. The String Diamonds look so dramatic. The blocks are 8 x 11 inches (my blocks are a little bigger than the directions). It is always so amazing to me how these scrap quilts can utilize such a variety of fabrics and still look awesome. Do not want it too bright since I plan to send this to Eagle's Healing Nest where military veterans and family can go to help heal the invisible wounds of war.


Hopefully I will be able to get some more sewing done today. We have to have a new furnace installed today. Our other furnace quit on Thursday and we have been struggling to keep the main floor warm. Since we do have in-floor heat in the lower level and a gas fireplace on the main level, it has been tolerable. Should be back to normal by the end of the day. Can't have anything upsetting the sewing routine for too long!!! LOL

Hop over to Judy's Design Wall and see what others are doing:
http://www.patchworktimes.com/2013/03/18/design-wall-march-18-2013/

Beth

12 comments:

  1. I am always so inspired by how talented you are...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the "Kuddos" and stopping by. It is so much fun to share what I am working on.

      Delete
  2. This is a great design. You are so right, all those scraps somehow come together to make a beautiful quilt. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fell in love with this string quilt the first time I saw it and it is so much fun to watch it grow. Thanks for dropping in!

      Delete
  3. String quilts are a great way to use up those scraps. I've never made one of the diamond/rectangle ones but I've sure made a lot of Heartstrings but still have a load of scrap!

    Lovely...and such a excellent cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing how those scraps multiply while you are working with them? LOL

      Delete
  4. . . . and I LOVE your Dresden blocks at the top of the page!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had so much fun making my "Dotty Dresden Plate" quilt. You can see the whole quilt on the 3/10/13 Stash Report posting. Thank you for liking the header and stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Hi Beth!
    Those string diamonds are handsome with the unifying black center stripe! Are you doing them on copier paper? Muslin? Hideous old fabric? Moan and groan about spending a fortune on a new furnace; that should be "fabric money!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I forgot all about "fabric money!!" How on earth did that happen? I must have been too cold to think!! ROFLOL Those diamond string blocks are so much fun. I am sewing them on old pages from a "Physicians Directory" we get from our supplemental insurance. It is heavier than the telephone book pages, but since I am only doing straight lines of sewing with a smaller stitch, it tears out beautifully.
      Hugs,

      Delete
  6. I've always made my string blocks square. I *love* the way your rectangles look!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle, Thank you. I saw the quilt on MaryQuilts.com and fell in love with the look. Also, the larger telephone books are almost the right size for the rectangle blocks. I only have to cut them a little larger the pages.
    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete